Going Camping? Keep Your High-Tech Gear Safe With These Tips
First things first: Do you really need to bring your tablet or laptop on your camping trip in Birmingham or Tuscaloosa, AL? Are you really going to watch a movie instead of looking at the stars? Check your email instead of roasting marshmallows? Work instead of play?
Well, OK. We can’t stop you. But we can help you keep your devices safe at the campground, if you ever tear yourself away from them long enough to take a hike, that is.
Here are five preventive measures you can take to help protect your stuff from theft or damage:
1. Make a list, and check it. “Pack it in, pack it out” usually refers to garbage, not electronics, but keeping an inventory of everything you brought will help ensure everything also makes it back home.
2. If you’re going out, lock up your stuff. The best place to put things is in your car if it’s nearby — it’s a lot more secure than your tent. Keep valuable items out of plain view, wherever they are.
3. Create a ‘neighborhood watch.’ Getting to know the people at nearby campsites can build more than friendships — it also can increase safety. Offer to watch their site while they take off for a while, and have them do the same for you.
4. Don’t forget the animals. No, they aren’t after your iPad. But, a bear rummaging for food isn’t exactly going to tiptoe around just to spare your expensive devices. So, don’t attract critters. Clean up your site regularly, and never leave out food or garbage.
5. Ask around about security. If there’s campground staff around, or campers who have been on site for longer than you, ask them how secure things are. Have there been any thefts? Are unfamiliar people wandering around? You’ll want to secure your items no matter what, obviously, but it’s always good to know if there are specific safety threats.
Of course, certain electronics, such as GPS devices and phones, can provide important safety functions for campers. And, we know not everyone wants to completely disconnect.
So, whatever your stance on bringing technology to the great outdoors, we here at Riverside1st Insurance encourage you to keep your campsite safe to make everyone’s stay more enjoyable.